Who doesn’t love eating ice cream for breakfast? These vegan rocky road pancakes make it easier than ever to enjoy your dessert first thing in the morning. Remember eating rocky road ice cream as a kid and being so entranced by the mashmallowy goodness that you didn’t notice the chocolate ice cream caked on the sides of your mouth? These fluffy chocolaty chunky pancakes take me right back to those days of my childhood. Back to the days where I was a little girl and would hop around our local ice cream parlor in my jellies sandals, impatiently waiting for it to be our turn in line. Now that I’m a real grown up and can’t eat at practically any ice cream parlors, I like to eat these to warm up on cold winter mornings. But trust me, I always top these rocky road pancakes with a heaping scoop of vanilla almond or soy ice cream!
- All Purpose Flour - 1 cup
- Cocoa Powder - 1/2 cup
- Raw Sugar - 1 tablespoon
- Baking Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Baking Soda - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- Chocolate Flavored Almond Milk - 1 1/2 cup
- Safflower Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Agave Nectar - 1 tablespoon
- Vegan Marshmallows - 1/2 cup, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Almonds - 1/3 cup, roughly chopped
- Vegan Chocolate Chips - 1/4 cup
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk to combine dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt).
2. Add chocolate almond milk, safflower oil, and agave nectar to dry mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over mix the batter.
3. Heat skillet or frying pan on stove top.
4. Once heated, generously spray with skillet or pan with cooking spray. Spoon pancake batter onto skillet or pan using a 1/4 dry measuring cup.
5. Immediately after pouring the batter onto the skillet or pan, place 4-5 marshmallow pieces and desired amount of almond chunks and chocolate chips in the pancake.
6. Once the bottom side of the pancake is cooked, flip it using a spatula or your mad flipping skills.
*You can tell when the bottom is done once once two things happen (1) the edges have curved up slightly, no longer sticking to the bottom of the pan and (2) bubbles are forming.
7. After flipping the pancake, allow it to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
8. Transfer to a plate and repeat until all batter is used.
9. Top with a scoop of Earth Balance or other vegan butter, or vanilla ice cream.