Oh. my. goodness. Breakfast will never be the same. If you’re craving a really hearty meal first thing in the morning, look no further. These breakfast french toast hot dogs are just to die for. The buns are prepared like french toast and then stuffed with (vegan) hot dogs and bacon! They are perfect after sleeping in on a weekend and make excellent hangover food. Added bonus: they are super easy, quick to prepare, and inexpensive.
Cutting off some of the crust on the sides (as seen in the photos) can help the batter soak into the bread more easily. Alternatively, you can just use a different bread of your choice. I prefer whole wheat hot dog buns, but be creative. Also, I used Lightlife Jumbo Smart Dogs. They’re grillable and larger. I recommend them if you want more “meat” in your sandwich, but they only come in packs of 5, so you will need to buy more than one package. The regular sized dogs are good too, if you’re trying to cut calories and save some cash.
I love eating these with extra maple syrup and ketchup, so give both a try!
- Almond Milk - 1 1/2 cups, sweetned or unsweetened
- Garbanzo (Chickpea) Flour - 3 tablespoons
- Maple Syrup - 3 tablespoons
- Ground Cinnamon - 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Earth Balance or other vegan butter - 2 tablespoons, divided
- Fakin' Bacon Organic Smoky Tempeh Strips, Lightlife brand - 6 strips
- Vegan Hot Dogs - 6 links, grillable variety (will say on the package), cut in half
- Hot Dog Buns - 6
- Maple Syrup - For drizzling and/or dipping
- Ketchup - For drizzling and/or dipping
1. Make the batter. Whisk almond milk, garbanzo flour, maple syrup, and cinnamon in a bowl.
2. Heat large frying pan on stove on medium-high heat. Melt Earth Balance or vegan butter on a large frying pan.
3. Once heated, dip hot dog buns until soaked in batter and place on frying pan. Cook for about three minutes on each side until golden brown. Add more Earth Balance or vegan butter to pan as needed.
4. Remove french toasted hot dog buns from pan and set aside on a plate or serving dish.
5. Add the other tablespoon of Earth Balance or vegan butter to the frying pan. Also add hot dog links and fake bacon strips. To save time, you can let these cook on the same pan. Cook each item according to package direction or until golden brown on each side.
6. Remove fake bacon and hot dog links from heat and place on french toasted buns.
7. Drizzle with maple syrup and/or ketchup.