Ahh, vegan pizza at its best. This pizza is SO GOOD. Like, eat it every single day of my life good.
If you’re a fan of spicy, like I am, you’ll love this recipe. The buffalo sauce on this is very flavorful and packs a big kick. When making the sauce, Frank’s Red Hot Sauce is a must. Don’t ask me why, but it makes a huge difference. The sauce is super easy to make and quite honestly, the best vegan buffalo sauce I’ve ever tried. It pairs especially well with the chunky texture of tempeh. A cooling, ranch drizzle tops it off as the final touch.
Your weekly pizza night will never be the same!
- Pizza Crust - Two 9-12 inch pizza crusts (See recipe below)
- Buffalo Sauce - 1 recipe (See recipe below)
- Tempeh - 1 package, sliced width-wise into 1/2 inch slices
- Mozzarella Daiya Cheese Shreds - 1 package
- Vegan Ranch Dressing - For drizzling
- For Pizza Crust
- Active Dry Yeast - 1 packet (2 teaspoons)
- Water - 1/4 cup, warm
- Agave Nectar - 1 tablespoon
- Whole Wheat Flour - 2 cups
- All Purpose Flour - 1 cup
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Water - 1 1/4 cup, warm
- For Buffalo Sauce:
- Frank's Red Hot sauce - 3/4 cup
- Earth Balance or other vegan butter - 3 tablespoons
- Chili Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce - 1/2 teaspoon
Step 1: Make Pizza Crust:
1. In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl, mix yeast, 1/4 cup water, and agave nectar. Let it sit for ten minutes and allow it to get foamy.
2. Meanwhile, whisk to combine both flours, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl. After yeast mixture has sat for ten minutes, add dried ingredients and remaining 1 1/4 cup of warm water to the large mixing bowl.
3. Knead with floured hands on a floured surface for a few minutes and then put dough back into large mixing bowl. Or, if you are using a stand mixer, knead the dough with the dough hook attachment and leave the dough in the bowl.
4. Tightly cover bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit for an hour in a warm place. While the dough is rising, go ahead and...
Step 2: Make Buffalo Sauce:
1. In a small sauce pan, mix Frank's Red Hot Sauce, vegan butter, chili powder, and vegan worcestershire sauce.
2. Bring mixture to a boil and then remove from heat. After removing it from the heat...
Step 3: Marinate Tempeh:
1. Put sliced tempeh into a tupperware container.
2. Pour in buffalo sauce, ensuring that all pieces are thoroughly coated.
3. Let tempeh marinate while waiting for the pizza dough to rise. Once this is done...
Step 4: Assemble Pizza:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Once pizza dough has sufficiently risen, coat your hands in flour, punch the dough and toss to shape it into pizza.
3. Dip a pastry brush into marinating tempeh and coat it with buffalo sauce. Brush desired amount of sauce onto the dough, leaving about an inch for the crust.
4. Generously cover pizza in Daiya cheese shreds.
5. Arrange sliced tempeh on top of Daiya shreds, ensuring that the pieces are evenly distributed on the pizza.
6. Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and drizzle ranch over top of pizza.